14 Working From Home Tips By Rocket Fiber Team Members
In these trying times, many of our team members have been working from home. We know we are not alone in this, as policies have been put in place for non-essential workers to stay home to prevent the spread of the virus. A few weeks into this, we decided to ask our team what they have been doing to stay organized, on task, and motivated. Below are some of their responses; we hope you find them as helpful as we did!
1. Wake up at the same time every morning and try to get 30 minutes of physical activity in before the day. Make time to move your body throughout the day. There are lots of great workout videos online, even from local businesses like Vibe Ride!
2. Get out of those pajamas and get ready for the day. Even if it’s into some comfortable clothes, changing and getting ready as you’d normally do can help keep the routine in place and prepare you for the day.
3. Invest in a comfortable desk chair. When working from home, you may find yourself sitting for longer periods of time and you want to make sure you are being properly supported.
4. Have a dedicated workspace. Separating your work space from the rest of your home is essential for getting in the right mindset to stay productive and motivated.
5. Turn your screen brightness all the way up. Make sure your workspace is lit well in a way that works for you. Poor lighting can cause eye fatigue.
6. For those times when you’d normally walk over to a teammate and speak face to face, do a voice call or video call. Try to have meetings face-to-face by using tools like Slack, Zoom or Facetime. You can also try hanging out with a few teammates in voice chat rooms like Discord – it feels like you’re in the same desk area.
7. Burn a candle or try using essential oils. Scents like mint, lemon, cinnamon, and rosemary can keep you focused and alert through the day while you’re working from home.
8. Try to find ways to keep the team engaged. Ask daily questions in a group chat and reach out to let them know they’re appreciated and missed.
9. Do you have a dog? Get outside and them for a walk when it’s nice out! Not able to get outside? Crack a window open near your workspace so you can enjoy some fresh air.
10. Walk during 1:1’s while on video, either on a treadmill or outside, if possible. Even taking laps around your house to get your blood flowing can help you stay alert and focused.
11. Avoid eating lunch at your workspace. Even if it’s only a few feet away, taking a break away from your desk can help clear the mind and come back to work with fresh eyes.
12. Have kids? Create a schedule for them that is the same every day – they thrive on routine as well.
13. Proactively limit your time allowance on your phone for social media. If possible, leave your phone in another room and only check it while taking breaks.
14. Try to give yourself a set of cutoff times where you know you’ll start and stop working, so the days don’t blend together too hard.
Hang in there, everyone; this situation is only temporary. We’re here for you. If you are in need of support, contact Mission Control.